May 30 : Southeast tests Biafran Freedom Day as all offices, businesses remain closed
They’d expected us to give them the opportunity to shed the innocent blood of our members, but we said no. They’d wanted us to secretly cancel the Sit-at-Home and non violent action, we said no. They’re disappointed. But the people’ve made a statement, which is that the entire southeast region is ready for Biafra. The people’ve remained peaceful and in solidarity with the Biafran course ~ IPOB leadership.
The Tuesday, May 30, sit-home exercise as proposed by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has kicked off in the southeast.
Travellers from that part of the country confirmed that there was more than 90% compliance recorded in the Sit-at-Home protest by the people within the south-east region.
“Nobody was compelled to obey the order not to step outside for any business as all shopes in Onitsha, Aba, Port Harcourt, Umuahia, Enugu and upto Asaba remained shut.
In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State capital, where the Governor. Umahi had earlier said would enjoy free movement of people was said to have initially witnessed a handful of people daring to step out of their homes.
But they were cautioned by their neighbours to cancel such a movement.
“We are mindful of the fact that majority of the people from the region are self -employed and.as such the programme will be relaxed as from 6 pm for people to go out to pick what they may need from shops,” said Mr Lucky Okorooma, IPOB coordinator in Ebonyi State.
Other reports on social media said that many people within the region had been happy with the directive of IPOB and MASSAOB for them to stay home.
Very few people have been seen on the streets and businesses have been locked down for the day.
Police commands of the affected five states said they did not permit any protest to hold any match as nobody or group of.people had appled for such.
But they confirmed that there was no breach of peace in the morning period, when they were interviewed.
Speaking with newsmen ahead of the planned exercise, Anambra state commissioner of police, Samuel Okaula, said the police were battle ready for anyone who was out to take the law into his hands.
According to the police boss, “We have always been prepared for this type of situation but one thing remains clear, we want to assure the people of the state to go about their lawful duties and businesses.
“There is no cause for alarm and I can assure you that all the black spots have been taken care of.
“We have enough manpower on ground and we have deployed them effectively to take care of all flash points.
“I don’t expect anybody to prevent people from going about their lawful businesses.
I will not allow anybody take laws into his hands. Anyone who does will definitely see the full wrath of the law.”
The commissioner said the command was determined to maintain the security position of the state as the safest in the country.